Hi! I'm so happy to be sharing my first project as a designer with you! Our challenge was "gradient", and while that stumped me for a few days, I decided to make a card and used the gradient on an element.
From CC: Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Dried Marigold, Barn Door & Vintage Photo, My Mind's Eye 12 x 12 Animal Soup(Boy) Collection), Sew Easy Stitch Piercer(Pennants), Bazzill Basics Paper Flowers(Stars)
Non- CC: Red Flocking by Recollections, DMC Brown Floss, Alpha Stamps(Studio G), Tattered Angels Creme de Cocoa Glimmer Mist, white cardstock from Core-dinations as the card base & pennant piece.
First thing I did was create my gradient using Dried Marigold & Barn Door. I took a piece of cardstock and worked from either end to the middle, gradually lightening up on the Barn Door & going a heavier with the Dried Marigold. Once I was happy with the results, I gave it a little spritz of water just to make the colors blend a little better and let it dry. Then it got a spritz of Creme de Cocoa Glimmer Mist and I let it dry again.
Next using the Sew Easy with the Pennant piercing head, I ran it the width of my paper in a few different spots. Using brown DMC thread, I stitched the pennants in(make sure you have enough pennants to spell out what you want). I didn't tie a knot on either end, I was just real careful until a little bit later.
Now being really, really careful(not kidding, I screwed this up once!), fussy cut around the pennants making sure you don't clip any of the thread(front or back, this is where I goofed). Once they're cut out, trim any excess if you feel the need and cut between each pennant to right below the piercing hole(this is so you can shape it a little, otherwise it will just lay in a straight line). Now using a small alphabet stamp set, stamp your phrase. I used "Happy Birthday" in Vintage Photo Ink.
Next up we're going to cut the card layers. My card is 5" x 7". My top layer is cut at 4.5" x 6.5", the red mat layer is cut at 4.75" x 6.75", and the orange mat layer is 5" x 7"(it fits exactly over my card base). Using the Distress Ink, ink all edges, I used Vintage Photo on the top layer, Barn Door on the red layer & Dried Marigold on the orange layer.
Okay, time to make the lion cute. The lion is a pre-made element that came in the collection pack. I just jazzed him up a little to make him even cuter. Ink all his edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, it just makes him stand out a little better. And here's the fun part, using a liquid adhesive(I used Scotch Quick Dry) cover his mane & the tip of his tail in the adhesive. I let it sit for about 20 seconds, and then dumped flocking powder on him. Let him sit for another 45 seconds, and then dumped the excess back into the container. Now he's got a fuzzy mane, and it gives some more dimension.
Time to put the base together. Center each of your card stock layers on the next largest one, and then adhere all 3 layers together to your card base. My card base is made out of white cardstock, I cut it at 10" x 7" and folded it in half. Now glue down your stars. I put 2 of mine so they would be behind the pennant banner and 2 so they would be behind the lion.
Finishing up, carefully tie a bow on each end of the pennant banners. It'll take a little trial and error to get them just how you want them. Using foam dimensionals, put them on some of the pennants of your banners and then gently attach them where you want them. You can curve them a little like I did or just let them be straight across. The very last thing I did was attach my lion with some more foam dimensionals over the stars.
I love how this project came out, and I know a great little boy to give this to for his up-coming birthday. I hope you all liked it.